About Joan Miro
- April 20, 1893. Joan Miro i Ferra was born in Barselona. He was a Spain (Catalan) painter, a sculptor, designer and ceramist;
- Since 1907 he studied at School of Art la Lonha. His teacher there was Modest Urgel;
- In 1910 he studied book-keeping courses at Commercial School in Barselona by his parents` insistence, later he worked as an accountant;
- In 1911 he had very bad illness and was treated on his parents` farm in Montroige. That place became the permanent source of his inspiration. He finally decided to become an artist;
- Since 1912 he had been studying at the private school of Art of Fransisco Galy in Barselona. The first pictures were appeared there;
- In 1914 -the first well known work "The Farmer"
- In 1915 - the ending of studying at school of Galy, the first workshop in Barselona, the six- months service in army;
- 1917,February 16 - the first personal exhibition but no one from sixty-four pictures written in fowistic style were not sold
("Self-Portrait", "Portrait of E.C. Ricart" and others).
"I think that after the giant pressing of
impressionists, post-impressionists, symbolists, after fowists and cubists.....we had come to free art the special stress was
made on inner vibrations of a creative soul. This contemporary
analytic moving." (from a letter to Ricar)
- 1918 - changing of art style to direction of detailed elaboration ("The Vegetable Garden with Donkey",
"The Waggon Tracks" and others)
- winter 1918/1919 - works for the pictures "A girl's portrait", "Self-Portrait"
- 1920 - the first coming in Paris,meeting with Picasso and others artists. The pictures of that time were in cubism
style: "Standing Nude", "The Table (Still Life with Rabbit)" and others
- 1921 - the workshop in 45, Blume street, formation of the Group "Blume Street", his first international exhibition - it was unsuccessful, too. Painting of the famous "The Farm" bought for 5,000 franks by Ernest Hemingway;
- 1923-1924 -beginning of the surrealist period in his creature. The more famous work are: "The Tilled Field",
"The Hunter (Catalan Landscape)", "Pastoral", "The Family"
- 1925 - The Group "Blume Street" joined to the Moving of surrealists. "Miro - the most Surrealist of us all", - said Andre Breton
- 1926-1927 - forming of own Miro's style which was clearer, more abstract and synthetic. "Person Throwing a Stone at a Bird", "Dog Barking at the Moon", series of works named "Painting"
- 1928 - a trip to Holland, series of works "Holland interiors" written after influence with paintings of the world artists such as Van Dyck, Hals, Vermeer
Copying this article partially or fully permitted only if there is a direct link to this website